GW Yellow Ribbon Program
The GW Request for Certification is available through the Student Veteran Portal on the GWeb Info System.
Students should read this entire page carefully.
A. Student Application Policy/Procedures for the Yellow Ribbon Program
The Post-9/11 GI Bill® maximum base pay for academic year 2022-2023 is $26,381.37. This maximum must be exceeded before YRP funds can be applied, up to the following:
|Maximum Number of Students||Degree Level||College/Professional School||Total YRP Contribution|
|Unlimited||Graduate||All, except for Law||$33,600|
Under this commitment, GW will:
- Provide additional funds to be used for tuition and fees beyond the maximum base pay, up to 50% of the total YRP contribution listed above. GW's contribution is a dollar-for-dollar match with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) contribution.
- Enable an unlimited number of YRP-qualified undergraduate students and an unlimited number of YRP-qualified graduate students to receive benefits for the academic year.
*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site.
Under this commitment, YRP participants should note:
- Pursuant to GW and VA Policy, the combination of university aid and outside aid designated for tuition (such as GI Bill® Base and Yellow Ribbon Program Benefits) shall not exceed the cost of tuition and fees.
- Neither non-degree students nor visiting undergraduate students from other institutions are eligible, under GW policy, to participate in GW’s Yellow Ribbon Program.
- GW cannot certify YRP benefits retroactively. GW will not certify any student for past semesters in which a student may have been eligible for YRP benefits, but did not properly enroll with GW to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
B. Procedures Applicable to New Students
- Students should apply for and receive confirmation of admission to the program of their choice at GW (non-degree students and visiting undergraduate students are not eligible for the YRP), and should confirm that the program is a VA-approved program by visiting the Department of Veterans Affairs website.
- Students should determine eligibility for the YRP on the Department of Veterans Affairs' Yellow Ribbon Program Information website.
- Students should apply, if they are eligible, for education benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® with the VA.
- Students should be sure to make an informed decision concerning their choice of Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits. There are typically multiple educational benefit choices for individuals with military experience. It is our understanding that once selected, benefit choices are irrevocable. For further information on benefits, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website.
- Eligible students, upon admittance to GW, must submit confirmation of their eligibility for YRP to Military and Veteran Services (MVS) at least 3 weeks prior to the beginning of the student's academic coursework. For many programs, this deadline is on/around the first week of August for the Fall Semester and on/around the second week of December for the Spring Semester. Such confirmation may be in the form of a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Students may scan and email or drop this form off at MVS and a representative will contact the student to confirm receipt of the form. Failure to submit this confirmation in a timely manner will result in delayed payment of VA educational benefits.
- Once registered for class(es), students must, EACH SEMESTER in which they are enrolled and plan to use benefits, complete a certification request on the GWeb Info System and submit it to MVS.
- For VA certification purposes, students must contact MVS if they add/drop courses after their initial registration and as a result, the number of their credit hours changes. A change in the number of credit hours will require adjustments in your enrollment certification for benefits and could also affect your student account.
NOTE: If you cannot submit your certification request through GWeb, please email MVS for alternate instructions.