GW Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP)
Please read this entire page carefully.
The Yellow Ribbon Program is an agreement between GW and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to help close the gap in the cost of education. YRP is a provision of the Post 9/11 GI Bill® for students at the 100% eligibility tier. If you are unsure of your VA education benefit or eligibility tier, please contact the GI Bill® Hotline (888-442-4551) or visit VA.gov.
The Post-9/11 GI Bill® cap for academic year 2023-2024 is $27,120.05. This cap must be exceeded before YRP funds can be applied, up to the following:
*Total YRP = The amount GW will contribute plus the VA's match of the contribution.
**Total Benefit = The 9/11 GI Bill® cap ($27,120.05) plus the total YRP.
To use YRP, students must:
- Be a matriculated GW student or a non-matriculated student, pending admission, taking prerequisite courses at GW
NOTE: Non-degreed and visiting/guest students from other institutions are NOT eligible for YRP at GW
- Be actively using the Post 9/11 GI Bill® at the 100% eligibility tier
- Request certification per the Student Checklist and elect to use YRP
- Exceed the GI Bill® cap for the academic year before YRP funds can be applied
NOTE: YRP covers tuition and fees that are billable to the VA. YRP does NOT cover housing, meal plans, or other non-billable fees.
Under this commitment, GW will:
- Enable an unlimited number of YRP-qualified undergraduate, graduate, and law students to receive benefits for the academic year.
- Provide additional funds to be used for tuition and fees beyond the GI Bill® cap, up to 50% of the total YRP contribution listed above.
- Match the VA YRP contribution dollar-for-dollar.
Under this commitment, YRP participants should note:
- The combination of university aid and outside aid designated for tuition (i.e., GI Bill® + YRP) shall not exceed the cost of tuition and fees.
- GW cannot certify YRP benefits retroactively. GW will not certify any student for past semesters in which a student may have been eligible for YRP benefits, but did not properly request certification with YRP as per the Student Checklist.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Click here for more information about VA education benefits.