How to Use YRP Benefits

The GW Request for Certification is available through the Student Veteran Portal on the GWeb Info System.

Students should read this entire posting carefully.


The amounts presented are in addition to the $26,042.81 maximum base pay. Forms are processed on a first-come, first-served basis with the following limitations:

Maximum Number of Students Degree Level College/Professional School Maximum School and VA Contribution Amount
Unlimited Graduate Law $40,400
Unlimited Graduate All, Except for Law $32,800
Unlimited Undergraduate All $50,000

Under this commitment, GW will:

  • Provide tuition assistance to veterans beyond what they are provided from their base GI Bill®* rate of compensation.  The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) will match GW’s contribution dollar-for-dollar up to 50% of the difference between the student’s tuition benefit (which includes the GI Bill® Base Benefit) and the total cost of tuition and fees.
  • Enable an unlimited number of YRP-qualified undergraduate students and an unlimited number of YRP-qualified graduate students to receive benefits for the academic year.

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Under this commitment, YRP participants should note:

  • Pursuant to GW and VA Policy, the combination of university aid and outside aid designated for tuition (such as GI Bill® Base and Yellow Ribbon Program Benefits) shall not exceed the cost of tuition and fees.
  • Neither non-degree students nor visiting undergraduate students from other institutions are eligible, under GW policy, to participate in GW’s Yellow Ribbon Program.
  • GW cannot certify YRP benefits retroactively. GW will not certify any student for past semesters in which a student may have been eligible for YRP benefits, but did not properly enroll with GW to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.


  1. Students should apply for and receive confirmation of admission to the program of their choice at the George Washington University (GW) (non-degree students, active duty individuals, and spouses using a transferred benefit from an individual on active duty are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program), and they should confirm that the program is a VA-approved program by visiting the Department of Veterans Affairs website.
  2. Students should determine eligibility for the Yellow Ribbon Program on the Department of Veterans Affairs' Yellow Ribbon Program Information website.
  3. Students should apply, if they are eligible, for education benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® with the Department of Veterans Affairs.
  4. Students should be sure to make an informed decision concerning their choice of Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits.  There are typically multiple educational benefit choices for individuals with military experience.  It is our understanding that once selected, benefit choices are irrevocable.  For further information on benefits, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website.
  5. Eligible students, upon admittance to GW, must submit confirmation of their eligibility for the Yellow Ribbon Program to Military and Veteran Services at least three weeks prior to the beginning of the student's academic coursework. For many programs, this deadline is on or around the first week of August (by August 7th) for the Fall Semester and on or around the second week of December (by December 15th) for the Spring Semester.  Such confirmation may be in the form of a U.S. Department of Veteran Services Certificate of Eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI Bill®.  Students may scan and email or drop this form off at Colonial Central, and an Military and Veteran Services representative will contact the student to confirm receipt of the form. Failure to submit this confirmation in a timely manner will result in delayed payment of VA educational benefits.
  6. Once registered, students must, each semester in which they are enrolled, complete a certification request on the GWeb Info System and submit it to Military and Veteran Services.
  7. For VA certification purposes, students must contact Military and Veteran Services if they add or drop courses after their initial registration and as a result, the number of their credit hours changes.  A change in the number of credit hours will require adjustments in your enrollment certification for benefits and could also affect your student account.

NOTE: If you cannot submit your certification request through GWeb, please email Military and Veteran Services for alternate instructions.