Guest Students

GW Students Taking Course(s) at Another Institution

To be a GW student, you must be matriculated (formally admitted and degree-seeking) or non-matriculated (pending admission). Submit your proof of VA education eligibility to [email protected]. If you are taking GW credits during the same semester, request certification via GWeb per our Student Checklist. A parent letter is needed for a secondary institution to certify those credits. 

  1. Speak with your GW Academic Advisor/Program Director. They must confirm the credits you plan to take at a secondary institution will transfer to your GW degree. 
  2. Request a Parent Letter Template from our office at [email protected]. Be sure to provide the contact information for the School Certifying Official (SCO) at the secondary institution.
  3. Have your Academic Advisor/Program Director complete the Parent Letter and send it directly to our SCO, April Clark, at [email protected].

Note: The Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP) varies by school. Please contact the secondary institution SCO to verify your eligibility for YRP and how to request certification as a guest student.

Guest Students from Other Institutions Taking Course(s) at GW

A guest student is non-matriculated and pursuing a degree at an academic institution other than GW. A parent letter is needed before GW credits can be certified. Follow your parent institution's instructions to be certified for credits at that school.  

  1. Contact your parent institution for instructions on how to obtain a parent letter.
  2. Have your SCO send the completed Parent Letter to our SCO, April Clark, at [email protected].
  3. Request certification prior to the start of each University semester via GWeb.
    How? Select Student, then Access Veteran Certification, then from the Student Records & Registration Menu tab, select Veteran Menu, and finally Veteran Certification Request.

Note: Guest students are not eligible for GW Yellow Ribbon Program.