The Charles and Deborah Frank Fellowship Fund at the Sierra Club
Sierra Club Summer Fellow
The GW Career Services Council in partnership with Sustainable GW, and Military and Veteran Services has established the Charles and Deborah Frank Fellowship through the generous support of alumnus Charles Frank, B.A., CCAS 1974.
The fund endows a summer fellowship with the Sierra Club to enhance a GW students’ understanding of the importance of environmental preservation and sustainable practice.
A full description of the fellowship, its duties, qualifications, and deliverables can be found here.
If you have questions, or if you would like more information about this opportunity, please contact Marva Gumbs Jennings at [email protected].
The Sierra Club is Closed for 2020.
Location: Washington, DC (Sierra Club Office)
Job Title: Sierra Club Fellow
Be a GW student enrolled full-time or part-time during the application period.
Preference will be given in this order:
- Veteran of or actively serving in the US Armed Forces.
- Non-military rising senior with a sustainability minor.
Prepare all of the required documents in advance and be ready to include them with your application form.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (PDF format)
- Unofficial GW transcript (PDF format). If you are unable to provide an unofficial transcript (i.e. first semester at GW), contact the Office of the Registrar for certification that you are a current GW student in good standing.
A selection committee will review applications and select the award recipients.
If you are selected for an award, you will receive a check shortly after the award is confirmed and after bank account information is confirmed for direct deposit.
You may be disqualified from receiving the award if:
- The application is submitted after the deadline.
- You transfer or drop from the GW degree program in which you were enrolled before, during, and after the fellowship.
- There are academic or non-academic disciplinary conduct violations.
- You do not complete the internship requirements.
- You do not complete your post-internship commitments.
This Fellowship is considered a Merit Award and could affect any need-based aid that you may be offered for the academic year. You are responsible for consulting with the Office of Student Financial Assistance to estimate the impact, if any, of the Sierra Club Fellowship Fund award on your financial aid package.
The award will be treated as taxable income for federal and state income tax purposes and GW will issue a Form 1099-Misc to US citizens and permanent residents and a corresponding copy to the IRS. Students should consult their parents or a tax advisor for federal and state income tax filing questions. For more information on tax-related issues, please contact the GW Tax Department.
International Student Awards
Depending on the individual circumstances for the international student award recipient, GW will be required to issue either a Form 1099-Misc or Form 1042-S. Payments to international students may be subject to 30% direct tax withholding. International students should contact the GW Tax Department to determine their circumstances.
After you complete your Fellowship you will be required to:
- Complete a stewardship report/brief essay to reflect on work done with the Sierra Club and the Fellowship's impact on academic and career goals.
- Complete a thank you letter to the Frank Family.
- Submit an evaluation letter from the Fellowship sponsor/supervisor.
- Provide your availability for activities (thank you letters, Q&A sessions, donor-recognition events, etc.), as requested, to promote the Sierra Club Fellowship to future applicants and to the current donor of the Fund.