Returning Student Checklist

This checklist only applies to those students who have completed at least one full semester at the George Washington University (GW) while using their military education benefits.

NOTE: Returning students need to submit the Request for Certification each semester that they are enrolled in classes. Returning students who are using the Yellow Ribbon Program need to submit the Request for Yellow Ribbon Program Benefits at the beginning of each academic year when they will be enrolled in classes.

  1. At the beginning of each academic year, please submit an updated Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of Military and Veteran Student Services by emailing a scanned version of it to [email protected].
  2. If it is the beginning of a new academic year and you are using Yellow Ribbon Program benefits, submit your “Request for Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP)” through the GWeb Info System.
  3. Register for courses
  4. As soon as you register for courses, be sure to complete your Request for Certification through the GWeb Info System by going to the Veteran Menu in "Student Records and Registration" and selecting "Veteran Certification Request." You may also fill out a paper Request for Certification Form and submit it to our office by email to [email protected].
  5. If you change the number of credits that you have registered for, you will need to resubmit your Request for Certification Form through GWeb.
  6. Please note that the University adds a "Voluntary Library Gift" to your student account each semester. While this is a voluntary gift, you must "Opt-Out" of the gift each semester. You can do this by going to your Student Accounts e-Bill where there is the option to opt-out. This MUST be done during the semester. Once the semester is over, the gift is permanent and the funds are allocated to the library. At that point, the university will not allow you to back-date the opt-out. It is recommended that you check your student account each semester to process the opt-out and to check your account for any other issues.