Admitted GW students using VA benefits should follow these steps as they consider enrolling at GW:
1. Visit the degree map tab under "Student Records" in GWeb to view your degree plan and graduation requirements as well as any credits that have transferred that count towards your degree.
2. Be aware that all courses requested for certification by GW must be part of your evaluated educational plan, or count as prerequisites for your program, or be required for a higher level educational program. You may only be enrolled in one program at a time when requesting benefits.
3. Contact a Department of Veterans Affairs counselor at 1-888-442-4551 to discuss your education benefits.
4. Complete the online application to use your VA Benefits via Vets.gov. You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in the mail from the VA detailing your education benefit. Submit it to Military and Services by email to [email protected].
5. Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to see if you qualify for additional student aid. Check with the Office of Student Financial Assistance for aid eligibility. If you do not wish to fill out the FAFSA, please be sure to submit a Request for Name/SSN/DOB Update form to the Office of the Registrar to have your SSN input into GW’s systems. Please do not send our office your SSN via any method.
6. If you have Title IV funds on your account (such as Pell Grants or federal loans) and expect to have a refund available, please ensure you fill out this Credit Balance Authorization Form with Student Accounts.
7. Register for courses.
8. As soon as you register for courses, be sure to complete your ”Request for Certification” through the GWeb Information System by going to the Veteran Menu in "Student Records and Registration" and selecting “Veteran Certification Request.” This request needs to be submitted before every semester you wish to use benefits.
9. Veteran education benefits are certified on a semester basis – be sure to complete the GW Request for Certification Form on paper or through GWeb each semester you plan to use benefits.
10. Be aware that all courses you register for/request for certification by GW must be part of your evaluated educational plan, or count as prerequisites for your program, or be required for a higher level educational program.
11. If you change your registration in any way, you will need to complete a new GW Request for Certification Form.
12. You have the option of adding a "Voluntary Library Gift" to your student bill each semester. As this is a voluntary gift, the VA will not pay for this charge if you opt-in.
13. Note: If you have used VA education benefits previously at another university, you must complete VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) or re-apply for your VA education benefits on Vets.gov, selecting "Update my current education benefits" under "Find Your Education Benefit Form."
14. The main points of contact for academic, financial, and student support resources are staff members in the Office of Military and Veteran Services ([email protected]; 202-994-9570). Christian “Mac” Manning, Andrew Sonn, and Collin Markstrom are GW’s school certifying officials (SCOs).
- VA Chapter Benefits
- Yellow Ribbon Program
- Prospective Student Checklists
- Admitted Student Checklists
- Returning Student Checklist
- Guest Student Checklist
- Policies & Processes
- VA Work Study
- Book Stipend