After being admitted to GW, follow these steps to receive your educational benefits:
- Contact a Department of Veterans Affairs counselor at 1-888-442-4551 to discuss your education benefits.
- Complete the online application to use your VA Benefits via the VONAPP portal.
- You will receive a “Certificate of Eligibility” in the mail from the VA detailing your education benefit. Submit it to the Office of Military and Student Services by email to [email protected]
- Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to see if you qualify for additional student aid. Check with the Office of Student Financial Assistance for aid eligibility. If you do not wish to fill out the FAFSA, please be sure to submit a Request for Name/SSN/DOB Update form to the Office of the Registrar to have your SSN input into GW’s systems. Please do not send our office your SSN via any method.
- If you have Title IV funds on your account (such as Pell Grants or federal loans) and expect to have a refund available, please ensure you fill out this Credit Balance Authorization Form with Student Accounts.
- Register for courses.
- As soon as you register for courses, be sure to complete your ”Request for Certification” through the GWeb Information System by going to the Veteran Menu in "Student Records and Registration" and selecting “Veteran Certification Request.” If GWeb is not working, you can fill out a paper GW Request for Certification Form and submit it to our office via email.
- Optional: if you believe you are eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP), please complete and submit the “GW Application for Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP) Form” in the GWeb Information System. YRP participants must submit this GW YRP form each semester of attendance.
- Veteran education benefits are certified on a semester basis – be sure to complete the GW Request for Certification Form on paper or through GWeb each semester you plan to use benefits.
- If you change your registration in any way, you will need to complete a new GW Request for Certification Form.
- The university adds a "Voluntary Library Gift" to all student accounts each semester. As this is a voluntary gift, you may "Opt-Out" of it each semester. You have the option of paying this tax-deductible fee or removing it from your account. If you would like to remove it, this can be done through the eBill portal or by emailing [email protected]. This must be done every semester, or the balance created by the fee will be your responsibility.
Note: If you have used VA education benefits previously at another university, you must complete VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) through VONAPP (Veterans Online Application).
Office of Military and Veteran Student Services
Enrollment and the Student Experience
Marvin Center Ground Floor
800 21st Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052
Phone: (202) 994-9570
Email: [email protected]